Shop Small, Give Big: Davis Holiday Gift Guide 2020
Looking for the perfect last-minute Christmas gift? Davis’ community of small businesses offers unique, one-of-a kind finds that you can bring home in time for the holidays!
Bonus: Shopping local is a gift that keeps on giving. Small businesses make up the fabric of our community by providing jobs, investing in local charities, and by bringing life and vitality to our downtown.
These are just a few of our favorites… we wish we could include them all! What would you add?
Coffee & Tea
Gift them a cozy start to their winter morning.
- Pachamama. Famous at farmer’s market, check out their new location downtown. Growers use sustainable, organic methods to produce exceptional coffee such as the Harvest blend and French roast.
- Mishka’s. Check out their new online store for items like this double-wall tumbler.
- Temple. Pick up their seasonal Festivity Blend and look for mugs and camp cups to accompany any beverage! Is your loved one not a coffee person? Temple carries a wide selection of teas with festive favorites such as Tisane Peppermint.
- Give them a gift card to a favorite coffee spot, like Three Ladies Cafe, Tea List or Cloud Forest Cafe!
- Upper Crust Bakery sells goods out of their storefront or at the Farmer’s Market—and offers gift cards!
- Konditorei, the Austrian pastry cafe, would make anyone’s holiday sweeter.
- Davis Creamery. Known for their ice creams, but delicious macarons anyone can enjoy at home. Choose from flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Matcha Green Tea, Strawberry, Salted Caramel and Hazelnut Praline!
- Let Them Eat Cake
- Great Bear Vineyards. Pick up gift bundles and holiday sets, like this wine and chocolate bundle or a Holiday Red Trio.
- Sudwerk. Bottles, cases, cans, snacks, gift cards! To-go and delivery orders. Brewery favorites like the People’s Pilsner ( Winner of the coveted “Brewers Choice” award for 25 consecutive years and counting) and seasonal feature: Funhouse – Apple Cinnamon Pastry (available 12/10).
- A growler of their favorite brew from a local like Three Mile, Super Owl, or Dunloe.
- Newsbeat. In addition to its large selection of newspapers and magazines, Newsbeat also offers a unique collection of holiday cards, snacks, international candies, and other beloved trinkets. Good for all ages.
- Kobe Mini Mart. This local convenience store offers a hand-picked variety of authentic Japanese products, stores, and snacks! Visit in store or shop online.
- Davis Food Co-op has goods from local makers highlighted.
Books & Music
- Avid Reader. You can reserve a 30 minute appointment to work one on one with staff, curating the perfect gift selection for your loved one.
- Armadillo. New and used music on vinyl or CD. Follow them for exclusive record drops.
Clothes and Accessories
- Boheme. Christmas Sweaters and socks. Budget friendly, cute, and festive. Boutique quality at thrift store prices. Used and new items for men, women, and family.
- Davis Home Trends. In addition to decor for your home, find fine leather goods: wallets, bags.
- Creme de la Creme. Charming store of gifts “for her and for baby”: jewelry, clothing, as well as home goods and decor. New items featured on their Instagram and Facebook
- The Wardrobe and Pinkadot are also local favorites.
- Watermelon music has little drummer kits! Free local delivery. Stickers and musical ornaments for everyone.
- Avid and Co. Toy Store has an abundance of puzzles, stuffed animals, games, and more! For the Christmas season, holiday bundles starting at $25. Not sure where to begin? Check out staff picks. All toys are carefully curated and well-sourced to provide stimulating toys and unique gifts for all ages.
- Davis Cards & Games has a new shop-able website and something for everyone.
- Spa central: A gift of well-being. Gift certificates are available for purchase at Spa Central ($10 minimum).
- Massage envy. Twice the holiday cheer deal: Buy one session get one FREE.
A bit of everything…
- The Pence Gallery: Holiday Market! November 6-December 24 11:30am-5pm. “Affordable, one-of-a-kind art, crafts, textiles, soaps, jewelry, and honey, featuring the work of over 50 local and regional artists. We’ll even put your treasure in a gift bag.”
- Davis Farmers Market: Sat 7:30am-1pm and Wed 3pm-6pm. Offering gift bundles. Crafters and artisan stands have plenty of handmade, local items you’re sure to love.
Or treat them to a gift card to a local favorite: think restaurants, salons, galleries and more!
Put your money where your heart is, and shop local this holiday season!
Victoria McJunkin is a senior at UC Davis and a regular contributor to The Dirt.